Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Death over Designer

This has been such a hot topic all over black america lately. Young men have been losing their lives at an alarming rate over material posessions. I'm from Detroit and cartier glasses are sought after in my hometown. All the dope boys wear them, its their way of showing they have money. I've actually heard females say the glasses makes dudes look better. People who sell drugs know the consequences of their activities, they understand that being flashy is dangerous. It's the average person who has no idea. So they just try to emulate the style of the dope man. I remember being a naive nineteen year old. I had purchased a pair of cartiers and I argued with my aunt about wearing them. She felt I shouldn't wear them, but I said I refused to be afraid of getting robbed. I didn't fully comprehend how serious this issue was. A few years later I turned on the news and heard about a young father being murdered in a robbery attempt,  he refused to give up something he worked hard to purchase. A pair of glasses cost this man his life. This isn't the only time this type of tragedy has happened. I know people who have been robbed for a pair of true religion jeans. Its crazy how something you wear can actually cost you so much. Lately the media have been covering people going through torture to buy a pair of jordans. There aren't enough pairs made for everyone to purchase, so it creates a frenzy. I've seen people camped out overnight just to get a chance to buy the shoes. Not everyone who waits gets the shoes, so there ends up being a lot of angry customers. The people who do get their shoes aren't always safe. It's tough to make it home after they secure their purchase. There are literally people gunning for these shoes. Think about it, shoes are more valued than a human being's life. It makes me question what is really going on! Why doesn't nike make enough pairs? Why can't jordan himself speak out about this madness? Why do blacks associate self-worth with material possesions? Why do so many people unconciously choose death over designer?

No comments:

Post a Comment