Sunday, February 9, 2014

Expectations

Prospects or hopes of success or gain is a definition of expectations. I recently read the final school newspaper from my senior year in High School. There was a section that asked some of the students where did they see theirselves in ten years. It amazes me how confident some of my peers were back then. I don't remember what my answer was, but I probably said I would be rich and in the NBA. That was the only career I wanted as a seventeen year old. No matter what we want to happen in life, it won't manifest unless we put in the work. I didn't have the slightest idea of what it took to become a professional basketball player. I was so naive, I just knew that I loved the sport and I wanted to play. I got accepted to Michigan State as a student not an athlete. I tried out for the men's basketball team as a walk-on and I didn't make it. Shortly after , I ended up coming home and dropping out completely. It wasn't even a big deal to the people around me. Just being able to say I attended MSU was enough for everyone, including myself at the time. I am so glad I didn't complete my college education. As dumb as that sounds, allow me to explain. In school I was never taught to follow my strenghts and passions. I had a hard time figuring out what I wanted to be in the future. Here I am twenty-five years old and sure that all I want to be is the best version of myself. We've all been marginalized to fit into these catergories that society deems useful. Fulfilling everyone's expectations but our own. I am in no way knocking anyone's profession. Neither am I saying that a college education isn't important. I just feel that finding out who you are and what you want is the most important part of the learning experience. My advice to others would be to not get so caught up in pleasing others that you forget about yourself. Set the expectations for your life and put in the necessary work to meet them.

No comments:

Post a Comment